Location & Contacts
LA Suites & Apartments
Palermo is the capital of Sicily. The Cathedral of Palermo, from the 12th century, houses royal tombs, while the imposing neoclassical Teatro Massimo is famous for its opera performances. Also in the center are the Norman Palace, a royal palace dating back to the 9th century, and the Palatine Chapel, with Byzantine mosaics. The crowded markets include the central street market Ballarò and Vucciria, near the port.
The Politeama theater
The Politeama Garibaldi theater in Palermo, designed by the architect Giuseppe Damiani Almeyda is a harmonious and imposing Pompeian-style building located in Piazza Ruggero Settimo, one of the most beautiful and lively squares in the city. In the second half of the nineteenth century, the advent of the new bourgeoisie to the forefront of political and social life brought with it new needs, to satisfy them, which began to build decent neighborhoods beyond the walls, and large city theaters were planned in the heart of the city : also to compensate for the dimensional and structural deficiencies of the four stable theaters then existing in Palermo: the Carolino theater (formerly S. Lucia then Bellini), Santa Cecilia, San Ferdinando and Sant 'Anna.
The Palazzo dei Normanni, also known as the Royal Palace, is located in Palermo and is currently the seat of the Sicilian regional assembly. The palace is the oldest royal residence in Europe, home to the rulers of the Kingdom of Sicily, imperial seat with Frederick II and Corrado IV and the historic Sicilian Parliament. On the first floor of the building stands the Palatine Chapel. It is one of the most visited monuments on the island. The additional tourist services are managed by the Federico II Foundation; the main entrance is on Piazza del Parlamento, the tourist one and the driveway are on Piazza Indipendenza. Since 3 July 2015 it has been part of the World Heritage Site (UNESCO) within the serial site "Arab-Norman Palermo and the cathedrals of Cefalù and Monreale".
The primatial metropolitan cathedral of the Holy Virgin Mary Assumption, known simply as the cathedral of Palermo, is the main Catholic place of worship in the city of Palermo and the episcopal seat of the metropolitan archdiocese of the same name. Since 3 July 2015 it has been part of the World Heritage Site (UNESCO) within the Arab-Norman Palermo serial site and the cathedrals of Cefalù and Monreale.
The cathedral of Santa Maria Nuova is the main Catholic place of worship in Monreale, in the metropolitan city of Palermo, the archiepiscopal seat of the archdiocese of the same name. Built starting from 1174 at the behest of William II of Altavilla, king of Sicily from 1166 to 1189, it is famous for the rich Byzantine mosaics that decorate its interior. In August 1926 Pope Pius XI elevated it to the dignity of a minor basilica. Since 3 July 2015 it has been part of the World Heritage Site (UNESCO) within the Arab-Norman itinerary of Palermo, Cefalù and Monreale.
Catacombs of Palermo
The Convent is known all over the world for the presence in its basement of a vast cemetery, which attracts the curiosity of many tourists, since the past centuries an obligatory stop on the Grand Tour (it was also visited by Guy de Maupassant). The macabre spectacle of the countless corpses on display is a starting point for reflection on the transience of life, on earthly vanities and on the uselessness of men's attachment to their external features. The galleries were excavated at the end of the 16th century in Gothic style with subtitles with ribbed vaults and ribbed vaults; these form a large rectangular cemetery. The corpses present there have never been inventoried, but it has been calculated that they must reach the figure of approximately 8,000. The mummies, standing or lying down, fully dressed, are divided by gender and social category, although most of them belong to the upper classes, since the embalming process was expensive. The various sectors include: prelates; merchants and bourgeois in their "Sunday" clothes; army officers in gala uniforms; young virgin women, who died before they could marry, dressed in their wedding dress; family groups standing on high shelves, delimited by thin railings similar to balconies; children; etc.